Poison Ivy / Poison Oak

Poison Ivy / Poison Oak

Did You Know?

Scratching poison ivy blisters will not spread the rash. In addition, the poison ivy rash is not contagious - only urushiol (oil found in the sap of poison ivy) can cause a reaction.

What is poison ivy/poison oak?

There are three native American plants that collectively may be called poison ivy:

These plants can cause an allergic reaction in nearly 85 percent of the population. To be allergic to poison ivy, you must first be "sensitized" to the oils. This means that next time there is contact with the plant, a rash may occur.

What causes an allergic reaction?

The resin in the plants contains an oily substance called urushiol. Urushiol is easily transferred from the plants to other objects, including toys, garments, tools, and animals. This chemical can remain active for a year or longer. It is important to know that the oils can also be transferred from clothing, pets, and can be present in the smoke from a burning plant.

What are the symptoms of poison ivy/poison oak?

The following are the most common symptoms of poison ivy. However, each individual may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include:

The symptoms of poison ivy may resemble other skin conditions. Always consult your physician for a diagnosis.

Treatment for poison ivy/poison oak:

Specific treatment for poison ivy/poison oak will be determined by your physician based on:

Making sure you avoid the poisonous plants is the best treatment. It is important to teach your family members what the plants look like and not to touch them.

If contact with the plants has already occurred, you should remove the oils from the skin as soon as possible by cleansing with an ordinary soap. Repeat the cleaning with the soap three times. There are also alcohol-based wipes that help remove the oils. Wash all clothes and shoes also, because the oils can remain on these.

If the blisters and rash are on the face, near the genitals, or all over the body, your physician should be notified. You should also call your doctor if the rash covers a large area of your body, you can't sleep, or you have large blisters. Swelling is a sign of a serious reaction and you should contact your physician right away, especially if the swelling is on your face or makes an eye close. If you have a serious reaction, you need to see a doctor right away. After a medical history and physical examination, your physician may prescribe a steroid cream, oral steroids, or steroid injections to help with the swelling and itching, depending on the severity of the rash.

Is poison ivy/poison oak contagious?

Poison ivy/poison oak cannot be spread from person to person by touching the blisters, or from the fluid inside the blisters. It can be spread, however, if the oils remain on the skin, clothes, or shoes. This is why washing your hands, clothes, and shoes as soon as possible is very important.

Preventing poison ivy/poison oak:

Click here to view the
Online Resources of Dermatology

 

Top of Page return to top of page