JOHN BUCEK, MD, FAAFP
RESIDENCY DIRECTOR AND ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, GRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION
Dr. Bucek has been a faculty member at Somerset since 1997. His interests include medical ethics and maternity care. In addition to teaching in our Family Medicine Center's maternity program, he has delivered more than 500 babies with 100 different residents here at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset.
Graduate of Mount Sinai School of Medicine, AOA, 1993
1996 graduate of Overlook Family Practice Residency Program, where he was a chief resident
Received the Family Medicine Resident of the Year Award from the New Jersey Academy of Family Physicians, 1996
Fellowship in Obstetrics for Family Physicians at SUNY/University Hospital-Stony Brook, 1997
Chairman of the hospital's Institutional Review Board
School physician at a special needs school for children with psychiatric disorders
||BARBARA FRANZBLAU, MSW, LCSW
Ms. Franzblau has been educating residents at Somerset since 1980. She teaches behavioral medicine, coordinates training in psychiatry, facilitates weekly RAP groups and resident retreats, and works with residents to support professional development. Her clinical practice involves helping individuals and couples use their inner wisdom and strengths to heal and repair their relationships.
||JILL GORA, MD, FAAFP, MRO
Dr. Gora joined our program in May 2006, and brought with her the valuable clinical and practical experience she gained during seven years in a busy suburban Family Medicine practice. Her interests include pediatrics, adoption medicine, dermatology, sports medicine and women's health. As the PGY-1 year manager, Dr. Gora oversees the educational needs of the first-year class. Since 1995, she has been a medical volunteer with Operation Smile, a non-profit medical charity providing free reconstructive surgery to children suffering from cleft lip and palate. Dr. Gora has served on medical missions to the Philippines, Colombia, China, Vietnam, Honduras, Ethiopia, Mexico, Nicaragua and Peru.
- Graduate of UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, 1996
- 1999 graduate of Overlook Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program
- Recipient of the Anthony F. Coppola, MD, Clinical Excellence Award, 1999
- Attending Physician, Pleasant Run Family Physicians & Sports Medicine, 1999-2006
- Recipient of the Operation Smile Individual Humanitarian Award, 2005
- Clinical Instructor, Department of Family Medicine, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 2007-present
||MARGARET GUYTON, MD
Dr. Guyton manages our Practice Management curriculum. She prepares residents for successful practice following graduation. Dr. Guyton directed our effort to achieve recognition as a Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH). Somerset Family Practice now has the highest PCMH certification possible. In addition, Dr. Guyton’s perspective as a former midwife contributes an added dimension to her teaching of Family-Centered Maternity Care.
- Graduate of UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 1995
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Medical Honor Society 1993 to present
- 1998 graduate of Overlook Family Medicine Residency Program
- OB Curriculum Coordinator, Overlook Family Medicine Residency Program
- President, House Staff Association, Overlook Hospital 1996-1998
- President, Somerset IPA Board President 2000-2002 & member 1999 to 2005
- Bylaw Committee member, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset 2002 to present
- Interim Associate Director, Somerset Family Medicine Residency, 2004-2005
LAURA MICEK-GALINAT, MD, MPH
Dr. Galinat's commitment to preparing residents for careers in family medicine is energized by her passion for the specialty and her considerable educational expertise. She was instrumental in advancing our competency-based evaluation system and oversees the development of our OSCE stations. Dr. Galinat also created our innovative HEALERS program, an integrated curriculum designed to teach Somerset graduates to provide compassionate patient-centered health care. Her special interests in prevention and medical informatics contribute to her popularity as a highly knowledgeable and effective teacher.
Graduate of UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, 1983
1986 graduate of the Family Medicine Residency Program at UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, where she was chief resident
Fellowship in Prevention, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 1987
MPH in Family Health, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 1987
Director of Graduate Medical Education, Department of Family Medicine, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 1995-February 2001
Associate Professor of Clinical Family Medicine, Department of Family Medicine, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 1995 to present
Named Teacher of the Year by the Class of 2003, Somerset Family Medicine Residency Program
||ELISABETH SPECTOR, MD, MPH
Dr. Spector brings a unique blend of public health, international medicine and leadership experience to our program. As the PGY-2 Year Manager, she guides the rotations and activities of our second-year class. Dr. Spector conducts clinical office-based research and is a member of the NJ Network of Affiliated Residencies Research Committee. She also has accompanied Somerset residents on an international health electives to Belize and St. Lucia.
- Graduate of UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 1997
- 2000 graduate of Hunterdon Family Medicine Residency Program where she was a chief resident
- MPH in Family Health, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 1995
- Clinical Prevention Fellow, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 1994-1995
- Resident Trustee, New Jersey Academy of Family Physicians Board of Trustees, 1998-2000
- Member, New Jersey Academy of Family Physicians Board of Trustees, 2005-2006
- Recipient of Mead Johnson Award and Scholarship, 1999
- Received the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Resident Teacher of the Year Award, 2000
||FRANCES WU, MD
Dr. Wu has been a member of the faculty since 1990. She orchestrates workshops in procedural skills that provide hands-on training in colposcopy, minor skin procedures, and IUD insertion and removal. Her interests in patient safety and medical ethics have generated a series of regularly scheduled didactic sessions. Dr. Wu also administers our clerkship and acting internship programs, and has earned a reputation among medical students as a highly effective educator.
- Graduate of Brown University Medical School, 1984
- 1987 graduate of Mountainside Family Medicine Residency Program
- Holds clinical teaching appointments at UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School and Drexel University College of Medicine
- Preceptor at Promise Clinic, UNDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School student-run clinic in New Brunswick
- Volunteer clinician, Human Rights Clinic of HealthRight International, 2008-present
- Contributing author, Griffith’s: 5 Minute Clinical Consult, 1998-present
||LALITHA HANSCH, MD
A member of the Somerset Family Medicine Residency family for more than 10 years, Dr. Hansch served as a chief resident in 2001-2002. She received additional training in medical acupuncture at the Helms Medical Institute at the University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine, and is board-certified in both Family Medicine and Medical Acupuncture. Dr. Hansch sees patients, supervises residents on our inpatient service, precepts Family Medicine maternity visits in our office and is a resident advisor. Her special interests include medical acupuncture, women's health, pediatrics, prenatal care, practice management and nutrition.
- Graduate of Wright State University School of Medicine, 1999
- 2002 graduate of Somerset Family Medicine Residency
- Attending Physician, Franklin Family Practice, 2002-2005
- Attending Physician in a solo micropractice, Bridgewater Family Health, 2006-present
- Attending Physician in private practice, Bridgewater Family Practice, 2006-present
- Fluent in American Sign Language
||NAMITA JOSHI, MD, CAQ
Dr. Joshi joined the Somerset Family Medicine Residency faculty in July 2009. She shares her time between Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset's Sleep for Life program and the Family Medicine Residency, and contributes both her enthusiasm for family medicine and her experience in sleep medicine to resident education. While she was a resident at Somerset, Dr. Joshi created and developed the R & R Committee. As chairperson, she scheduled social activities for residents and coordinated their participation in healthy lifestyle presentations to various community groups.
- Graduate of Ross University School of Medicine, 2005
- 2008 graduate of Somerset Family Medicine Residency
- Received the Society of Family Medicine Resident Teacher of the Year Award, 2008
- Completed Sleep Medicine Fellowship at Capital Health-Hamilton Sleep Center, 2009
||JOANNE LUNDHOLM, MD
Dr. Lundholm returned to Somerset as a faculty member in 2008. During her third year of residency she served as a chief resident. After graduation, Dr. Lundholm spent two years in a busy urban practice in Wilmington, Del., providing comprehensive medical care to the underserved and gaining the valuable clinical experience that enhances her teaching style. She sees patients, supervises residents on our inpatient service, precepts Family Medicine maternity visits in our office and is a resident advisor. As the PGY-2 Year Manager, Dr. Lundholom guides the rotations and activities of our second-year class. Her special interests include pediatrics, women's health, obstetrics and international medicine. Dr. Lundholm has volunteered on several medical missions to Belize, Honduras and China.
- Graduate of Tufts University School of Medicine, 2003
- 2006 Graduate of the Somerset Family Medicine Residency
- Named Family Medicine Resident of the Year by the New Jersey Academy of Family Physicians, 2006
- Received the Carl F. Meier, MD Award for exemplifying the qualities of a Family Physician, 2006
- Attending Physician, Westside Family Healthcare in Wilmington, Delaware, 2006-2008
||MELISSA RIVERS RICHARDSON, MSN, FNP-BC
FAMILY PRACTICE NURSE PRACTITIONER/ NURSE MANAGER
Mrs. Richardson joined Somerset as our Family Nurse Practitioner in 2007 and became our Family Practice Nurse Manager in 2009. She cares for patients in the Family Practice Center, where she also supervises the clinical activities and development of our nursing staff. As coordinator of our Home Visit Program, Mrs. Richardson travels with residents to assess and treat their homebound patients. Additionally, she provides instruction to residents in pediatric health screening and wellness promotion at a local child health clinic. Her professional interests include women's health, pediatrics, home care and community medicine. In February 2010, Melissa participated in her first medical mission at Zuni Comprehensive Community Health Center in Zuni, New Mexico. The focus of this volunteer mission was to provide comprehensive health care to the underserved Native American population.
- Graduate of Rutgers University, BSN, 1993
- 2003 graduate of Rutgers University, Masters Degree in Nursing
- Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
- Certified School Health Nurse
- Preceptor, Advance Practice Nursing students
- Clinical Site Supervisor, Advanced Practice Nursing, Monmouth University
||LUIGI BRUNETTI, PharmD, BCPS, CGP
CLINICAL PHARMACY SPECIALIST
Dr. Brunetti joined Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset in 2007 to establish a practice site for Doctor of Pharmacy students. An accomplished clinician and educator, he also dedicates his time and expertise to our residents’ education and clinical practice. Dr. Brunetti makes weekly rounds with our Family Medicine Inpatient Service and is a popular lecturer in our Family Medicine conference series. He conducts clinical research studies at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset and serves as Chairperson of the Pain Management and Antimicrobial Stewardship Committees. We are pleased that Dr. Brunetti will soon begin precepting in our Family Practice Center.
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice and Administration, Rutgers-The State University of New Jersey, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, 2007 to present
- Post Doctoral Associate, Department of Pharmacy Practice and Administration, Rutgers-The State University of New Jersey, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, 2006-2007
- Graduate of Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Doctor of Pharmacy cum laude, 2006
- Completed Specialized Residency in Drug Information at Rutgers-The State University of New Jersey, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy/Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, New Jersey, 2007
- Certified Geriatric Pharmacist, Council for Certification in Geriatric Pharmacy, 2009 and Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist, 2010.
- Clinical Received the Mylan Pharmaceuticals Pharmacy Practice Excellence Award, 2006
- Clinical Co-authored and published a case report with one of our third year residents in The American Journal of Health-System Pharmacists (August 2010)
||KATHRYN SCHMIDT, MSW, C-TAGME
Ms. Schmidt coordinates the day-to-day management of operations for our residency, faculty and residents. She arrived at Somerset in 1996, and brought with her the experience and skills she gained during ten years as a clinical social worker in residential treatment, early childhood education, and parenting resource settings. In 2009 she became one of the first Family Medicine residency administrators to obtain certification from the National Board of Certification for Training Administrators in Graduate Medical Education. Her special interests include resident recruitment, residency management software, and organizational efficiency.
- Graduate of Cedar Crest College, BA in Sociology/Minor in Social Welfare, 1975
- 1978 Graduate of University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana School of Social Work
- Co-founder, The Parent Tree Center for Parenting Education in Metairie, Louisiana, 1983
- Clinical Social Work with children and families, 1978-1995