Founded in 1975, the RWJ Somerset Family Medicine Residency Program is a well-established, community-based, university-affiliated program. We are the only residency program based in our full-service 355-bed community hospital and maintain a very active outpatient practice at the Somerset Family Practice Center.
Somerville is a pleasant suburban community located one hour from New York City, 20 minutes from Princeton, and 90 minutes from Philadelphia.
- Acting Internships
As acting interns on the Family Practice Inpatient Service, students on this rotation:
- work with the resident team providing direct patient care
- attend daily teaching rounds with faculty
- participate in the residency program’s educational conferences
- Student Clerkships
Teaching basic high quality primary care is the focus of the clerkship experience. Under the preceptorship of a faculty mentor, students are guaranteed direct hands-on experience. The clerkship includes:
- office visits, home visits, nursing home visits, maternity visits & well baby clinics
- residency program’s educational conferences
- exposure to the following office procedures: colposcopy, LEEP, IUD placement, endometrial sampling, minor skin surgery, and skin cryotherapy
Meals and Housing
- Meal allowance cards are provided for use at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset's Cafeteria.
- For students who wish to stay overnight, a shared call room is provided, offering a lounge with TV, VCR and refrigerator, and a shared bathroom. (The medical center observes a no-smoking policy in all areas.)
- A car is not required, but is helpful in our suburban location. Parking is free.
Medical Student Contact
Student Coordinator: Frances Wu, M.D.
RWJ Somerset Family Medicine Residency Program
110 Rehill Avenue
Somerville, NJ 08876
E-mail: Kathy Schmidt (Student Administrator)
New Jersey regulations permit us to accept student clerks and acting interns from domestic medical schools.
For further information: