A stroke occurs when the blood supply to a part of the brain is suddenly interrupted. A stroke affects the arteries within and leading to the brain. Symptoms of a stroke may include sudden numbness, weakness, pain, dizziness or impaired vision or speech.
Signs of a Stroke
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
- Sudden difficulty seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden difficulty walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden severe headache with no known cause
If you experience these sudden symptoms, call 9-1-1 immediately.