About Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
One of the nation’s leading academic medical centers, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital provides state-of-the-art care across the full range of health care services. Specialties include cardiac care from screening to heart surgery and transplantation, cancer care, emergency medicine, pediatrics and maternal-fetal medicine.
To improve the health and well-being of the patients and communities we serve by:
- Fostering an environment of excellence in all areas including the provision of the highest quality, evidenced based patient care in collaboration with the hospital’s health care professionals
- Advancing patient care by the diffusion of medical knowledge
- Facilitating medical discovery that improves patient care
- Promoting and engaging in community outreach activities to enhance the health of the residents of our region
- Exhibiting stewardship of all available resources
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, in partnership with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, will be a leading, nationally distinguished academic medical center.
Quality, Awards and Honors
The hospital has earned significant national recognition for clinical quality and patient safety. Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital has ranked among U.S. News and World Report's "America's Best Hospitals for six consecutive years. The American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer has rated RWJUH among the nation's best comprehensive cancer centers. The Leapfrog Group rated RWJUH as one of the 50 exceptional U.S. hospitals, as published in Consumers Digest magazine. Harvard University researchers, in a study commissioned by The Commonwealth Fund, identified RWJUH as one of the top 10 hospitals in the nation for clinical quality. RWJUH is also a recipient of the prestigious Magnet Award for Nursing Excellence for more than 10 consecutive years.
RWJUH is the principal teaching hospital of the Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. It is also the hub of a clinically-integrated medical campus that includes the NCI-designated Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey, the Child Health Institute of New Jersey and The Bristol-Myers Squibb Children’s Hospital.
- 600 inpatient beds
- Over 1,300 physicians and surgeons in every specialty are affiliated with the hospital
- Founded in 1884
- Daily visiting hours are from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Annual Academic Programs
- Physicians: between 300 and 400 medical residents in all specialties with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.
- Nursing: more than 500 nursing students affiliated with five schools.
- Allied Health Professionals: More than 300 allied health professionals including pharmacists; respiratory, physical, occupational and speech/hearing therapists; radiology and dental technologists; dietitians and emergency medical personnel.
RWJ offers a variety of parking options for our visitors and guests.
Patients are encouraged to use the valet parking service available Monday through Friday from 5:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. in front of the main hospital.
We also offer options in a variety of self-pay parking decks, including our main hospital parking deck which is located adjacent to the facility and is available 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week.
Our self-pay Plum Street parking deck (located on Plum Street) is available to patients, visitors and guests 24-hours-a-day, seven-days- a-week.
The Paterson Street deck (located on Paterson Street) and across from the Clinical Academic Building is available to patients, visitors and guests 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week.
General Contact Information
- Physician Referral Line: 1-888-MD-RWJUH
- Main number (732) 828-3000
- Web site: www.rwjuh.edu
- Wellness programs and support groups: (732) 418-8110
- Marketing and Public Relations Department: (732) 937-8521
- Physician Referral Line: 1-888-MD-RWJUH
About Robert Wood Johnson Health System
The parent organization of Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, Robert Wood Johnson Health System also includes Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Hamilton, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Rahway, Bristol-Myers Squibb Children's Hospital, and Children’s Specialized Hospital.