The cardiothoracic surgeons at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital are experienced and highly-respected physicians in their subspecialty field. Currently these physicians perform over 1,000 cardiothoracic surgical procedures per year. Their morbidity and mortality rates, as published in the annual report from the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services, are excellent. Some of the area’s sickest patients are referred to our surgeons because of their expertise, including those patients who have been turned down for surgery elsewhere.
In conjunction with our experience treating advanced heart failure patients with highly-structured medical regimens, left ventricular assist devices (LVADs) have been introduced as an available option for patients who have maximized the doses of their medicine. Our physicians are fully trained with the use of the TCI HeartMate, Abiomed and Novacor ventricular assist devices (VADS). All of these devices are FDA-approved for patients awaiting heart transplantation. The HeartMate is also FDA-approved for destination therapy for patients who are not considered transplant candidates. For these patients, a VAD may still enable them to go home and enjoy an active lifestyle. Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital is one of only two hospitals in New Jersey that offers this technology.
Areas of Expertise
- Coronary artery bypass graft specializing in arterial grafts and off-pump procedures
- Complex coronary revascularization including multi-vessel coronary endarderectomy
- Minimally invasive surgery for repair and replacement of diseased cardiac valves, including robotic surgery
- Repair of aneurysms of heart and aorta
- Removal of cardiac tumors
- Transmyocardial Revascularization (TMR)
- Repair of congenital abnormalities in adult patients
- Surgical treatment of atrial fibrillation
- Implantation of pacemakers and defibrillators
- Repair of traumatic injuries to the heart and blood vessels
- Surgery for advanced heart failure, including cardiac transplantation